Home

BEFORE & (ALMOST) AFTER: BUILT-IN BOOKSHELVES

January 15, 2014

bookshelf_before

The house ACS and I are living in was built in the ’50s, and you can tell: We’re talking terrazzo floors, palm tree wallpaper in the laundry room and an electrical system that sometimes seems to have a mind of its own. But it’s full of charm, too–not to mention gorgeous natural light, especially in the morning.

When I walked into the house for the first time, the giant built-in bookshelves in what we’re calling the “front room” immediately caught my eye. I’ve dreamed of having built-ins for quite awhile now, but clearly they weren’t going to happen in my old apartment. So I was thrilled when I saw these.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for us), this particular unit was totally unfinished, and the bottom of it was in kind of rough shape. From the moment I set eyes on it, I was itching to paint it a nice, bright white. But everyone who saw that “before” picture, above, told me I needed to ask our landlady before changing anything. You know, since the unit is solid wood and all.

bookshelf_after

Luckily, the landlady’s response–and I quote–was, “You can do whatever you want.” So within a few days of moving in, we* slapped a coat of bright white paint on the thing, and then, inspired by the console table in the Rifle Paper Co. office space, painted the back a color I’m calling “slate blue.” (The official color, according to the paint chip, is “Pacific Coast.”) We still have to paint the cabinet doors and get new hinges and knobs (I’m thinking gold or brass), but we’re 90 percent done and I couldn’t be happier. We’ve even got books and knick-knacks up there now; once I’m finally finished arranging them, I’ll post an update picture.

More before and after posts to come soon–including the paint color we chose for the rest of the house and our soon-to-be dresser transformation. Woohoo!

*When I say “we” painted the built-in, I 100 percent mean ACS. He did all the work and he did a fantastic job.

Em
    January 15, 2014 at 10:35 am

I love it. that blue is the perfect shade!

Megan @ Pink O'Clock
      January 15, 2014 at 11:47 am

Yay, thanks! I love it, too. It’s amazing how paint can change something so drastically, isn’t it?

Alicia | Jaybird Blog
    January 15, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Since the bookshelf will be such a visible part of your front room, it’s great that you are making it your own! Also, how handy is it to have a crafty boyfriend? Unfortunately I think I’m more of the power tool-wielder in my relationship. 😛

Megan @ Pink O'Clock
      January 15, 2014 at 4:13 pm

It is VERY HANDY (hee, I like your pun). I am like anti-craft–I can do food DIYs but that’s basically it. So the fact that I have someone around who can do things as simple as hang curtain rods makes me very, very happy.

eileen | leaner by the lake
    January 16, 2014 at 1:45 pm

amazing! also as I was reading this I was all “please say brass hardware”. it’s going to look so, so good!

Sarah | For the Love of Chow
    January 16, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I can’t get over how good that looks! Love the color selection. I cannot wait to see how you set up the rest of the place – you have great style.

Megan @ Pink O'Clock
      January 17, 2014 at 10:25 am

Aw, thanks, Sarah! We are happy with the results, too. It’s so nice to have more space/different bones to work with in this new place!

Jenn@NearandFarMontana
    January 19, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Oh I love this! I am all about a massive wall of bookshelves and have instructed M many times to keep that in mind as we work on house renovations. All plans must consider bookshelves. Ha.

Love the paint colors and the combination. It looks great! Can’t wait to see it all come together!