misc

LITTLE SPLURGES.

marthastewart

marthastewart

I was thinking the other day about little splurges–you know, the small treats we give ourselves throughout the week that make life just a little bit better.

Case in point: I got back from Scranton late last Wednesday night and all I wanted to do was take a shower–but I’d left both my bath towels at my parents’ house (long story, and please don’t ask why I only have two at the moment, because I don’t have an answer for you). It was too late to go to the store, so I ended up drying myself with an IKEA blanket. Um, not the same as a towel.

So the next night, I took myself to Target and “splurged” on a super-soft Fieldcrest bath towel. At least, it was a splurge for me, since normally I would have gone for one of the cute-but-cheap towels and been on my merry way. I don’t know if it was because I was feeling so upset about losing my grandmother or on the brink of getting another cold or what, but clearly I needed something soft and fluffy in my life and that towel was it. And now every time I use it, it makes me happy.

What little splurges have you guys indulged in recently? (Or, hey, big splurges, if you’re inclined to share them.)

P.S. Splurging vs. saving.

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

Alicia | Jaybird Blog
    November 21, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Splurging on something you use every day (especially something so comforting!) After searching high and low, I just splurged on a new planner and I can’t wait for it to come in the mail! You’ll see it on the blog soon. 🙂

Megan @ Pink O'Clock
      November 21, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Ooh, I can’t wait to see it! Love planners and paper products in general. 🙂 PS: Your blog is so good, Alicia. xo

Alicia | Jaybird Blog
        November 21, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Aw shucks girl you make me blush!

I love stationery too…if I had an unlimited budget, I would probably blow it all on cute notebooks and cards!

Jenn@NearandFarMontana
    November 22, 2013 at 5:37 pm

This week I treated myself to a kitchen & bath magazine after landing my jump at the rink. It was sort of a reward. In a way, it’s useful since we’re remodeling, but we can see more images for free online. There’s just something really lovely about flipping through a glossy, beautifully designed magazine and looking at photos of gorgeous kitchens. And just maybe, I can get some of that loveliness into my new kitchen!

And I think splurging on a nice towel is absolutely worth it!

Megan @ Pink O'Clock
      November 22, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Oh, I love your treat! It takes a lot for me to buy a magazine these days, too (despite, uh, working at one) because I also feel like I can get so much online. But I just bought the new Domino at the airport last week and I’m enjoying it so much. Totally agree with you!

nanne
    November 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm

every couple of weeks or so i will run into t.j. max, target or our j. crew outlet and pick up a little wardrobe refresher for my girls (this is not a selfless as it sounds, usually will buy something i can wear too :)). sometimes i will buy one of the more pricey magazines like The Simple Things (love!!) or Where Women Cook. in cold weather, a venti hot chocolate from starbucks!

eileen | leaner by the lake
    November 25, 2013 at 11:03 am

Worthy splurge, my friend. I’d say that my splurge (and it has been for the last six months) and is not little in the least is personal training sessions twice a week for 30 mins each. They are keeping me healthy and happy and committed to moving my body – and not just on those two days but on every day which is a very new thing for me to want to do.