Design

LITTLE SPLURGES.

November 21, 2013

marthastewart

I was thinking the other day about little splurges–you know, the small treats we give ourselves throughout the week that make life just a little bit better.

Case in point: I got back from Scranton late last Wednesday night and all I wanted to do was take a shower–but I’d left both my bath towels at my parents’ house (long story, and please don’t ask why I only have two at the moment, because I don’t have an answer for you). It was too late to go to the store, so I ended up drying myself with an IKEA blanket. Um, not the same as a towel.

So the next night, I took myself to Target and “splurged” on a super-soft Fieldcrest bath towel. At least, it was a splurge for me, since normally I would have gone for one of the cute-but-cheap towels and been on my merry way. I don’t know if it was because I was feeling so upset about losing my grandmother or on the brink of getting another cold or what, but clearly I needed something soft and fluffy in my life and that towel was it. And now every time I use it, it makes me happy.

What little splurges have you guys indulged in recently? (Or, hey, big splurges, if you’re inclined to share them.)

P.S. Splurging vs. saving.

Alicia | Jaybird Blog
    November 21, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Splurging on something you use every day (especially something so comforting!) After searching high and low, I just splurged on a new planner and I can’t wait for it to come in the mail! You’ll see it on the blog soon. πŸ™‚

Megan @ Pink O'Clock
      November 21, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Ooh, I can’t wait to see it! Love planners and paper products in general. πŸ™‚ PS: Your blog is so good, Alicia. xo

Alicia | Jaybird Blog
        November 21, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Aw shucks girl you make me blush!

I love stationery too…if I had an unlimited budget, I would probably blow it all on cute notebooks and cards!

Jenn@NearandFarMontana
    November 22, 2013 at 5:37 pm

This week I treated myself to a kitchen & bath magazine after landing my jump at the rink. It was sort of a reward. In a way, it’s useful since we’re remodeling, but we can see more images for free online. There’s just something really lovely about flipping through a glossy, beautifully designed magazine and looking at photos of gorgeous kitchens. And just maybe, I can get some of that loveliness into my new kitchen!

And I think splurging on a nice towel is absolutely worth it!

Megan @ Pink O'Clock
      November 22, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Oh, I love your treat! It takes a lot for me to buy a magazine these days, too (despite, uh, working at one) because I also feel like I can get so much online. But I just bought the new Domino at the airport last week and I’m enjoying it so much. Totally agree with you!

nanne
    November 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm

every couple of weeks or so i will run into t.j. max, target or our j. crew outlet and pick up a little wardrobe refresher for my girls (this is not a selfless as it sounds, usually will buy something i can wear too :)). sometimes i will buy one of the more pricey magazines like The Simple Things (love!!) or Where Women Cook. in cold weather, a venti hot chocolate from starbucks!

eileen | leaner by the lake
    November 25, 2013 at 11:03 am

Worthy splurge, my friend. I’d say that my splurge (and it has been for the last six months) and is not little in the least is personal training sessions twice a week for 30 mins each. They are keeping me healthy and happy and committed to moving my body – and not just on those two days but on every day which is a very new thing for me to want to do.