DSCN4641
gratitudes

30 DAYS OF GRATITUDE, DAY 7: NANA

DSCN4641

Last night, as I pulled into my parking space in front of my apartment, my dad called to tell me that my wonderful grandmother–my Nana, his mother–passed away just a few minutes before. (That’s her in the photo above, looking directly at the camera in the bottom row, third from the right. Wasn’t she beautiful?)

I have so much more to write about my grandmother and what she meant to me and my family, but for now I’ll just say that I’m really glad she had such a long and happy life (she was 92 and would have been 93 in January), and I’m so grateful to have had her with me for 30 years.

I’ll miss her every day.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

• Reply Alicia | Jaybird Blog November 8, 2013 at 9:02 am

Megan, you have my deepest sympathies and lots of love vibes coming your way. Your positive outlook is admirable. I didn’t realize until recently what a blessing it has been to have a) met all my grandparents and b) still have two of them with us. I’m sure you make her proud every day.

• Reply Megan @ Pink O'Clock November 8, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Aw, thank you so much, Alicia. So glad you still have two of your grandparents with you–they are a gift. xoxo

• Reply Jenn@NearandFarMontana November 15, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I recently watched a new documentary, Walter, about the world’s oldest man. He lived right here in my town, but has since passed away. The filmmakers interviewed some of the world’s oldest people and when I left, I thought, I have to call my grandparents far more often. I’m so sorry for your loss Megan. I’m lucky to have all my grandparents, but I don’t see them often and still, I can only imagine the wreck I’ll be when we lose them. And I agree with Rachel, she’ll be with you always. Grandparents help make us who we are, I think, and in that, they’re forever a part of us.

• Reply 30 DAYS OF GRATITUDE, DAY 8: THIS QUOTE | Pink O'Clock November 8, 2013 at 4:23 pm

[…] fact, I still do that today. As I prepare to fly north to say goodbye to my grandmother, this quote is the one that keeps coming back to me, and always I’m thankful to have found […]

• Reply eileen | leaner by the lake November 8, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I’m so sorry, Megan. Having just gone through this myself, I understand what a whirl of emotions this time can be. I’m looking forward to hearing more of your beautiful words about your nana. xx, love.

• Reply Megan @ Pink O'Clock November 8, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Thank you so much, Eileen. I was thinking of you and your recent experience with all of it as I wrote this post, actually. Sending love. xoxo

• Reply Rachel Sedaker November 14, 2013 at 12:48 am

It’s been almost seven years since I lost my beloved grandmother, and I still miss her. I had to hold back tears when I visited my grandfather this past weekend for his 80th and the musician played “I’ll Be Seeing You,” because it made me think of her, and feeling her there at the party (which was its own set of emotions- grandpa has Alzheimer’s). Grandparents can be such wonderful treasures, it is so hard to let them go.

I could pick out your nana in the pic because you look like her. She’ll be with you in the little things, every day. Sending hugs.

• Reply Megan @ Pink O'Clock November 14, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Thank you so much, Rachel. I cried when I read this comment–it’s so sweet. Sending hugs right back! And happy birthday to your sweet grandfather–80 is a huge milestone.