shoes
health

WORKOUT ESSENTIALS.

shoes zadie

Lately I’ve been working out 4-6 days a week, which is more than I have, oh, ever, and I’ve quickly come to realize there are some things I just can’t live without–my workout essentials, if you will. So I thought I’d share three of them here with you today.

1. Comfortable shoes. This is embarrassing, but I wore my last pair of sneakers until they started to hurt the bottoms of my feet–I am sure they were about two bridge walks away from getting a hole. These days my shoes of choice are these Nikes in hot pink.

2. Great cropped yoga pants. If I could live in cropped yoga pants, I definitely would–and on the weekends, especially when I’m doing my Sunday grocery shop, I pretty much do. Well, the other day, my wonderful friend Tara introduced me to Marika‘s Balance Collection cropped yoga pants, which (a) are the softest, most comfortable workout pants ever and (b) don’t do that annoying thing where they ride up on my calves, because they’re cut a bit longer (I have thick calves so this problem happens a lot with my other pants). You can buy them online, but I got mine at TJ Maxx, which is actually where I buy all my workout clothes. Much as I want to try Lululemon’s famous cropped workout pants, I don’t really want to pay $80 for them, ya know? $10-$15 at TJ is much more my speed.

3. Coconut water. For the longest time, I didn’t really like coconut water–and then I tried Harmless Harvest‘s version and became a total convert. It’s available at Whole Foods, it’s sustainably harvested and totally raw and unheated, and it’s delicious. Unfortunately, it also costs about one million dollars a bottle, so I think of it as a treat and buy it very sparingly–but I promise you, after a particularly intense workout, it’s amazingly refreshing and a really great, natural way to replenish electrolytes.

So there you have it: My three workout essentials–er, two, plus a treat, I guess. What are yours? (Once I find a good sports bra, that’s definitely going on this list, too.)

P.S. That’s Zadie, my little workout buddy, in the second pic. Aw.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

• Reply Lila October 10, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Speaking of giant calves, any suggestions on boots that fit them nicely? I have similarly giant calves, and it makes me so sad when I’m boot-hunting!

• Reply Megan @ Pink O'Clock October 10, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Hey Lila! Oh my gosh, we are the same–boot hunting is always a disappointment for me for that same reason! I found a cute pair of boots at Target a couple years back that actually worked really well–I had to try on a bunch to find them, but I was surprised at how well they fit and how non-saggy they were. When I was there last week (buying ankle boots, no less), I saw that they’d started to get a lot of their fall/winter boot styles in, so I’d definitely try there. (I love Target!)

This year, though, I might take the plunge and buy a pair of extended-calf Frye boots, simply because I know I’ll have them forever. These look promising: http://www.zappos.com/frye-melissa-button-boot-extended-cognac-extended-soft-vintage-leather. The price makes me cringe a bit, though, so I’m going to see if I can’t find somewhere to try them on locally and then buy them on eBay or something.

Please let me know if you find anything in your boot-hunting travels, too!

• Reply Lila October 11, 2013 at 10:27 am

I think I had the same pair of Target boots—they were PERFECT, and I wore them into the ground, and then the same ones never showed up again. I think I might have to just bite the bullet and get the fancy boots so I don’t have to deal with worn soles and flaking plastic after near-constant wear this fall + winter. Oy.

• Reply Alicia | Jaybird Blog October 10, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Neon workout shoes are a key inspiration piece for getting me out the door and running. And I second your TJ Maxx recommendation! Old Navy also has fantastic workout clothes and cropped yoga pants that often go on sale online.

• Reply Megan @ Pink O'Clock October 11, 2013 at 11:37 am

YES! Neon shoes are somehow excellent motivators. This is a fact. Thanks for the tip on Old Navy workout clothes, too!

• Reply Sarah | For the Love of Chow October 10, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Love the photo of your workout buddy. My go to workout gear is my baseball cap. Unless my hair is tame, I cannot focus on the workout task at hand. And cropped yoga pants would be my uniform if I could justify wearing them to work!

• Reply Megan @ Pink O'Clock October 11, 2013 at 11:38 am

She really is the best workout buddy, my little fluff.

And haha, I am SERIOUSLY considering wearing these yoga pants as leggings under boots this year (with a cute top of course!)–they are THAT comfy. Lucky for me I work in a creative office…