food + drink, sarasota

A quick, easy summer lunch.

There’s this restaurant in Sarasota, Louies Modern, that serves an heirloom tomato and burrata salad on a pink sea salt block, and I am in love with that salad. It’s bright and refreshing and sweet and salty—your basic caprese with the ante pumped way, way up. Seriously delicious.

So when I was thinking about what I wanted for lunch the other day, that salad kept coming to mind. Now, I don’t have huge pink sea salt blocks laying around my house, but I did have a box heirloom cherry tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Maldon salt (the best), basil and—thank you, Trader Joe’s—burrata. So I sliced up half the container of tomatoes, plopped half a ball of burrata on top of them, tore up some basil leaves that I picked from my plant (!), drizzled the whole thing with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkled some Maldon salt on top—and that was it. Friends, it was delicious. I had to keep telling myself to slow down while I was eating it. Even better: Absolutely no cooking involved. Total win.

What’s your favorite summer lunch? I’d love to hear.

Photo: My own.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

11 Comments

• Reply eileen ragan | leaner by the lake July 24, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Never had burrata before! We always just do mozzarella a la caprese! Also, please tell me more about this pink sea salt block.

Tomatoes are justttt starting to come into season in Chicago and I’m all over it!

All of this is amazing. #anticooking!!!

eileen ragan | leaner by the lake

• Reply Megan @ Pink O'Clock July 24, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Oh my goodness, you would LOVE burrata (if you love mozzarella, that is). It is basically mozzarella filled with cream. Amazing.

And yeah, the salt block is like a SLAB of pink sea salt, and the restaurant puts the tomatoes, burrata, basil, etc. on top and the whole shebang gets seasoned that way. It’s awesome.

Enjoy your tomatoes! Oh man, summer fruits and veggies are awesome. And yay #anticooking!

• Reply GiGi July 25, 2013 at 2:25 am

Guys, I HAVE a salt block. I saw it when I was at The Meadow, a salt shop in Portland last year and talked about it NONSTOP for months. (Eileen, please go to this store when you’re in Portland) Adi then surprised me and bought it for my birthday a few months later and I’ve been terrified to use it, it’s SOOOO beautiful. I think I should try this salad to christen the pretty lady! Looks SO GOOD, Megan.

• Reply Alyssa July 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm

This is one of my favorite things EVER––especially in the summer! Burrata cheese is like heaven on a plate if you ask me!

• Reply Megan @ Pink O'Clock July 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Totally agree with you about burrata! So glad you share the mozzarella-tomato-basil love. 🙂 Thanks for the comment!

• Reply Rachel Sedaker July 24, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Oooh, this looks and sounds delicious…

• Reply Megan @ Pink O'Clock July 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm

If you try it, please let me know! It really takes like no effort and is so light–even with the cheese.

• Reply Julie July 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Burrata is just offensively good. I split one open and just have to eat the entire thing, seriously.

• Reply Alicia Johnston July 24, 2013 at 11:52 pm

This looks so, so yummy! Basil + fresh ingredients (like, any ingredients) makes any meal into a perfect summer classic. Also, I love that you recreated something from a beloved restaurant dish!

• Reply Megan @ Pink O'Clock July 25, 2013 at 12:00 am

Aw, thank you, friend! 🙂 I was obviously inspired by your anticooking series!