Food Travel

Perq Coffee Bar.

June 6, 2013

These days, the perks of living in Sarasota include Perq Coffee Bar (see what I did there?), whose buzz (pun! Again!) began last year and which finally—finally!—opened its doors to the public last month. It’s safe to say I’m obsessed, and here’s why: Gorgeous space, made-from-scratch baked goods, sandwiches from a favorite local shop, and, oh yeah, the best coffee and tea in town. We’re talking fair-trade, single-origin beans roasted in-house, local dairy options, the option to order a drink with almond milk (hallelujah!), tea offerings that are brewed just as carefully as their coffee counterparts, and a bright green Slayer espresso machine that is totally awesome.

Perq’s lingo is different than the “small/medium/large/tall/grande/venti” you’ll find at most coffee shops, and it’s a little confusing at first, but you’ll pick it up after a few orders. Also, take it from me: You will leave the shop with good vibrations (literally). I ordered a dirty chai—chai tea with a shot of espresso—a few weeks ago and it was insanely, awesomely strong. Totally worth it. If you’re local, you must go.

P.S. My friend Megan also wrote a great post about Perq a few days ago; read it and see her pictures right here. She’s convinced me to order a matcha latte next time I’m in, for sure.

megan
    June 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm

love your shots!! <--- ha, another pun!! we should meet here and drink drinks until we explode. <3 thanks for sharing my post, love! you rock!

Megan
      June 6, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I am all for Perq-hanging and excessive coffee drinking. And now I’m all for making those granola bars you posted today, too…OMG.

eileen ragan | leaner by the lake
    June 6, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I’ve totally been waiting for a post about this spot!! Everytime you post a snap from Instagram, I’m instantly jealous! The almond milk perk is my favorite one, as someone who doesn’t really do Soy Milk but doesn’t like dairy either. We are a persnickety bunch 🙂 I love local coffee spots…next to the bar, they’re the perfect place to hunker down.

<3 eileen

Megan
      June 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Aw, you’re so sweet. If you ever visit Sarasota, we will go. 😉 I don’t do soy milk either anymore, and I do try to avoid the dairy when possible. You’re so right, too: Local coffee spots are awesome places to just hang and enjoy life. And caffeine. Yay! xoxo

Alicia Johnston
    June 12, 2013 at 2:40 am

It is so nice to have a favorite local place! Chai tea with espresso sounds fantastic. I love the multicolor wood walls…it seems like a beautiful place to take time to relax or get a drink to “perq” up before the work day begins. 🙂

Jaybird