Design Food

Baked! (kinda): Chai coconut ice cream.

May 14, 2013

Awhile back, I mentioned that these Baked! posts were going to take more of a healthy, clean-eating bent—i.e., last week’s almond butter cookies, which are gluten- and dairy-free. I want to talk more about the why behind that decision in a few weeks, but first I want to share with you this recipe for chai coconut ice cream.

Ice cream is probably my biggest weakness when it comes to dessert: I try not to keep it in the house because if I do, chances are you’ll find me standing in front of the freezer at midnight, spoon hovering over the carton. And yet, here in Florida, it’s practically summer already: We’ve got highs in the mid-80s, we’re wearing shorts, we’re thinking about beach barbecues and dips in the Gulf. It’s hard to deprive yourself of anything that instantly cools you off, and come on, ice cream is the ultimate hot-weather treat. So needless to say, I’m glad I’ve found this healthy recipe.

OK, fine: Ice cream can’t really ever be considered healthy, but this version does come close: It’s full of spices and it’s sugar-free, dairy-free, and egg-free (thank you, coconut milk and honey). I found the recipe over on Cookie + Kate, which is a wonderful blog—you should definitely check it out if you haven’t already—and it couldn’t be simpler: black tea and spices (ginger, cardamom, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla) are combined with coconut milk and honey, cooled and then put through an ice cream maker. Here’s the recipe; the result is what you see above. It’s creamy and delightfully spicy and just as good straight out of the ice cream maker (soft serve!) as it is if it’s been frozen overnight. Yum. I have a feeling this is going to become a go-to very, very quickly.

Photo by Cookie + Kate

Julie / Bound
    May 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Is it weird to have this for breakfast? Please say no.

Megan
      May 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm

No. Ice cream for breakfast is always a yes.

Adri Enne
    May 14, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I really like the sound of this! (And this coming from someone who doesn’t like coconut-amazing!) I think it is all the spices and the fact that it is a healthier alternative.

And yep, totally laughed at (and related to) the whole standing in front of the freezer at midnight scenario. ; )

Megan
      May 14, 2013 at 4:22 pm

It’s really good! And the coconut flavor is not too overpowering–more creamy than anything.

Midnight spoon wielders, unite. 😉

Green Door Hospitality
    May 14, 2013 at 4:28 pm

My sister once said that we all have two stomachs…one regular one, and one just for ice cream. (i.e there is always room for ice cream). That being said… it is why I keep holding out on buying an ice cream maker! 😉

I really like the flavors of this recipe though. Yum chai!!

Megan
      May 15, 2013 at 2:46 am

It’s so good! The coconut milk is surprisingly creamy. I love that quote from your sister about the two stomachs–that is awesome. I actually won my ice cream maker in a contest–I was holding off for exactly the same reason–but I must say it has served me well. 😉

eileen ragan | leaner by the lake
    May 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm

It’s 80 here today and I’m dying for a celebratory summer weather treat! This recipe looks amazing! I’m also a big fan of Cookie + Kate, her stuff is easy, healthy, and delicious. The perfect combo. Plus she’s super down to earth and relateable.

Have you tried So Delicious coconut milk ice creams? If you’re in a pinch and don’t have time for homemade, they are a pretty good second.

I’m already thinking about how this can be combined with root beer for a float experience.

Megan
      May 15, 2013 at 2:47 am

Ooh, root beer float! I like the way you think, lady. And glad you love Cookie + Kate, too.

I’ve tried So Delicious’ soy green tea ice cream and loved it–will have to try the coconut milk ones! Yum. Thanks for the tip! xoxo

ChinkyGirLMeL
    May 15, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Omg! How heavenly! This looks so good. This would be so perfect for the really hot weather around here, the temperature has soared up to 93 degrees here and all I can think aboutnis having ice cream all afternoon. Hehehehe